Muscle loss syndrome
Muscle loss syndrome start as early as 30 years old
Here are reasons why you absolutely need to engage in muscle building activities:
1. We lose an average of 10% muscle mass per decade after age 30
2. Muscles hold the spine and the body together, allowing you to perform daily tasks, such as walking, carrying grocery, playing with your kids or grand kids, being active…
3. Women, who have fewer red blood cells than men, will produce more red blood cells by developing lean muscle mass through weight lifting.
4. Muscle loss leads to bone loss (osteoporosis).
5. One week of being bedridden, with surgery or illness, for example, equals one year worth of bone loss, leading to osteoporosis
6. Muscles have direct impact on internal organs and overall health
7. Muscle loss causes the metabolism to slow down (gaining weight)
8. Muscle loss causes the posture to shift creating back and neck problems and/or injuries
9. Muscle loss creates hormonal imbalances, decreases testosterone and HGH production
10. Muscle loss accelerates the aging process
11. Muscle loss diminishes the quality of your life
MUSCLE LOSS SYNDROME IS GENERALLY NOT OBVIOUS UNTIL ABOUT AGE 40, BUT BY AGE 50 THE CONSEQUENCES OF THESE CHANGES DISASTROUS FOR YOUR HEALTH. IT IS MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO BUILD MUSCLE AFTER AGE 40.
Muscles Building activities: Muscle building activities employ primarily fast twitch muscle fibers. These muscle fibers contract quickly and powerfully but fatigue very rapidly (concentric and eccentric contractions). Simply put they shorten and lengthen the muscles while exerting force, thus strengthening musculature throughout the entire range of movement. Concentric and eccentric contractions have been found to produce greater force than isometric contraction, thus generating increased lean muscle mass.
Those activities consist of
- Power Lifting
- Weight Lifting / Strength Training
- Pilates (performed on a machine where there is external force involved)
A good muscle-building program will include both fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers protocols and all muscle contraction types.
It is a good idea to start on a strength-training program sooner than later to build up capital, so to speak. You will reap the immediate benefits it provides, look sharper, feel better and you also will be grateful later in life, as you
will age more gracefully.