SLEEP FOR HEALTH
GET YOUR SNOOZES IN!
Do you know that in order to achieve maximum health, you need 7 to 9 hours sleep every night?
Some of the health issues associated with sleep deprivation are cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, and diabetes, just to name a few.
Some statistics show that as as 90% of people suffering from insomnia are also affected by another health condition.
Aside from causing depression, sleeplessness also causes memory loss, the ability to think clearly, cravings for high fat and rich in carbohydrates foods, increasing the risk for weight gain. It also ages your skin prematurely.
If this is not enough of the warning, lack of sleep also kills your sex drive. Speaking of driving, it is also a major cause for accidents on the road.
Ensuring a good night sleep will increase productivity; save you time money and energy in a long run. In short, you’ll improve the quality of life, you’ll feel better and happier.
Here are a few tips to improve the quality of your sleep
- Turn off the television and computer a couple hour before bedtime and allow for some quiet time.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeinated beverages and nicotine.
- Keep your sleeping area as silent as possible. If necessary use ear plugs.
- Keep your sleeping area as dark as possible. If necessary cover your eyes with a dark cloth. The pituitary gland is responsible for the release of adrenaline into our system, “keeping it in the dark” will help your keep calm.
- Choose a comfortable mattress and pillow, not too soft, to hard.
- Take bath.
- Avoid heated and emotional conversations.
- Eat a snack. Eating before bedtime will not make you gain weight, contrary to popular beliefs, It is actually the opposite. A healthy snack at the nighttime will not only help you sleep better but it would also keep your metabolism burning fat.
Healthy nighttime snacks
- Greek yogurt with honey and sliced banana
- Cottage cheese
- Peanut butter
- Warm oatmeal
- Low-carb protein shake
7. Drink a relaxing herbal tea. The following brands are available at your local supermarket or health food store.
- “Sleepytime” by Celestial Seasoning Herb Teas
- “Well Rested” by Trader Joes (my favorite!)
- If you are facing a stressful day tomorrow, get your ducks in a row,, so to speak, during the day, in order to free your mind from obsessing all night long
10. Get some fresh air, breath.
11. Exercise. Exercising late at night can potentially keep you up. However, exercise is mandatory to your overall health and will a deeper sleep. Choose the time of day that best accommodates you
Written by Batista Gremaud for